Friday 8 March 2013

Working from home is not an all hours access pass.


*Warning: if you're offended by the word "fuck", you're on the wrong fucking blog*

I'm lucky in that I work from home with my AntisocialHusband. What's even better is I live in an access controlled complex where the security guard calls you before they let visitors in. And if you don't feel like dealing with that person, you just say "No, don't let them in." Which is heaven.

One of my closest friends also runs her own business from home. However, she doesn't have the same kind of access control we do. So she has to deal with random clients and acquaintances showing up after hours unannounced. Which is totally uncool.

This begs the question:

What the fuck has happened to people having some respect for the privacy and space of other people? I would die before just randomly showing up at someone's door without checking if they're home first.And if I didn't die, SWMBO would murderlize me with extreme prejudice. Because that's not how she raised me, dammit.

I mean, it's after working hours. You don't know what they could be doing. They might be making dinner, or doing laundry, or catching up on housework, or...you know...categorizing their toenail clippings from obscure '70s musical stars. Or shagging.

What's just as fucking bad, is acquaintances showing up during the work day, expecting you to be available for a bit of social time. Um, no, I'm bloody working. Would you appreciate it if someone showed up at your office at 10:30 wanting to go out for coffee and window shopping? Hmmmm?

Those kinds of people prey on your good nature. You feel guilty about the fact that they've made this trip, and you can't turn them away.

Well, I have some amazing news:

You can!

It's not your problem that they didn't call/text/smoke signal beforehand to see if it was good timing. It's theirs. 

It's not your problem that they have no respect for your space and job. 
It's theirs. 

And why should you care about their problems when you have enough of your own to deal with?

I suggest ignoring the door and doorbell and gatebuzzer (keep the damn thing closed and locked!). Alternatively, open the door a crack (opening it all the way gives the impression that they're welcome), and say "Oh, you really should have called first! This is not a good time, but we'll see you another time. Bye!" And close the door. Don't even give them a chance to talk.

Because seriously. If you can't respect my time, my space, my need for privacy and relaxation, then fuck you. You're not a friend, you're a distant acquaintance, because sure as hell, no real friend would just arrive without at least checking first. Calling while you're on the way is still ok, because even if it's 10 minutes beforehand, you're at least bloody calling.

But if you just show up unannounced, I courteously invite you to Fuck. The. Hell. Off. Mkay?

No comments:

Post a Comment