Wednesday 10 July 2013

You are stupid

Well, not you in particular. Maybe someone you know or are related to. We all have that person in our social circle. The undercover "*ist". They're either racist, ageist, sexist or some other kind of "ist" word that denotes some kind of discriminatory stupidity.

This person doesn't necessarily stand on a soap box in the middle of the CBD with a huge picket sign saying "*Insert population demographic here* is an abomination and should be burned alive!"
Probably because they possess enough intelligence to be dimly aware of how self preservation works.

However, they have no problem sneaking in little barbs in social conversation. You know the deal, you're standing around the braai, secretly wondering when the hell those chops are going to be ready, there's only so many chips you can eat dammit; and someone shares a story of e.g. a co-worker that did something stupid and everything's royally stuffed now. The UndercoverIst will chime in with a "Hey, was that person old/black/indian/atheist/female/fat/chinese/insert demographic here?"

Seriously? What the hell does that have to do with the story? Someone rear-ending another person on the highway has more to do with the driving conditions, whether they were paying attention to the road and such like things, and fuck-all to do with the name of the God they choose to pray to.

The UndercoverIst knows that telling a story in civilised companywhere you say "Guys, I have this story about a *insert demographic* where they *insert stupid action*. Hahahaha, typical *insert demographic/slur* idiots - we shouldn't expect anything else from them!" will get them chucked out of the house super fast. And they will probably be banned from any future gatherings - unless they're family. For some reason, because you're related to this twat, you have to endure their *ist mutterings.

My second favourite thing to do to the UndercoverIst is to call them on it. "Why, Bob, what does their skin colour/age/sex/religion/etc have to do with the story?"
It's satisfying to watch them squirm and sputter while trying to come up with a socially acceptable explanation. My super favourite thing to do, is have absolutely nothing to do with them.

Unfortunately, it took me a few years to figure that out. Previously, I would just stand there uncomfortably and try to change the subject. I remember going to a braai in my early twenties with a guy I particularly fancied the pants off of. And I made googly eyes at him and imagined him naked and was mentally dropping my panties, right up until he made a very crude racist joke.

Right there and then, my panties were up and staying up. In fact, all my clothing was staying on. Hell, I was just about in a lesbian nunnery, as far as his chances of getting anywhere with me ever at all.
And yet, I still stuck around at the braai. Because I was 20 and had no metaphorical balls. And instead of telling him "You're disgusting, don't ever try to contact me again", I just passively aggressively ignored his texts, mails and calls until he stopped.

I suppose you could say I'm ignoranusist. I cannot stand ignoranuses. Dumb asses. Willfully stupid people. People that have the resources and opportunity to educate themselves, and choose not to, and believe the most inane shit. The kind of shit that a three year old would give you a "yeah right" look for.

So I suppose I'm not invited to the UndercoverIst's next braai then?

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a *ist... I hate everybody equally. I am anti-stupid. Almost militant about it.
    I think I need help because as I get older, I feel more strongly about the fact that there should be less stupid lying around for everyone to see and deal with on a daily basis. Or maybe it's just that I'm an arrogant "German" prick? Thank fully there is a little Brit in me. Totally makes up for it, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFL! No, you're the same as me :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you get rid of the bodies? I drive a Jetta for now, and I can get 4 in the boot (6 if you chop them up). I've run out of places to hide them now, and my car is starting to smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Gauteng...there's loads of mines and dumps here :P

      Delete