Friday 10 May 2013

My Mom



 My Mom - aka SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed). 

Mom is a strong, efficient, intelligent, resourceful, independent, loving, caring, big hearted woman. She is what I would like to become when I grow up.

When I was growing up, she was strict but fair. She'd warn me about the repercussions of my actions, but let me bump my head anyway. Mom knew sometimes you needed to experience the pain in order to learn - but she would try to guide me anyway.

Mom helped get me one of my favourite jobs - working at the CD store in high school. That working experience helped to shape who I am, and cemented my love of music. 

My Mom is a very big-hearted person, who will do what she can to help you. She took care of everybody, and did it with love. What I truly love, is she takes to heart the religious teachings of love and tolerance, and ignores the stupid stuff. She doesn't care if you're straight, gay, bi, pink, black, see through - if you're a good person, it doesn't matter. 

She's a hard worker - she may have been a housewife to the outside world, but she took care of the finances, the children (one special needs and one drama queen - guess which one was me :P ). She volunteered at our schools' tuck shops/fund raisers - and scored me huge brownie points in high school when she donated a quilt to a raffle our committee was having to raise funds for the matric farewell. 

She's a rabid quilter. Not avid - rabid. If I had to venture a guess as to how many quilts she's made in her lifetime, I would have to say hundreds. Maybe even over a thousand. And she just gives them away. Mom could make a mint selling those things, but she makes them because she loves to. Heck, the only thing I asked for as a wedding present, was a quilt. And it's gorgeous. We actually have 2 double bed quilts, one king sized quilt, 1 child sized quilt and two 1 metre square quilts. The last two belong to our dog. We're spoiled. We know :D

My Mom has an awesome sense of humour - and we share the same kind of laugh :D She is obsessed with tennis and cricket. In our house, when cricket was on, you did not touch that TV remote, on pain of painful pain.

I go to her for advice, support, jokes, recipes, book recommendations, to find out if I'm right or wrong about something...

She's my Mom. She's the best Mom. And I love her < 3

Mom, this is for you






And this from Dad to you 

Jou oë sing ‘n ou verhaal
van goud wat teen die reënboog lê
en sal jou lippe teen my lip
‘n onvertelde teerheid sê
Pols jou vingers aan my pols
die boodskap wat die bloed begryp?
Jou mond is met die bitter rooi
van wildebessies ryp.
Wie het die ronding van jou vlees
so soepel om die been gedraai?
En watter heuwels en vallei
die wit mis van jou tabberd toegewaai?

No comments:

Post a Comment