Monday 1 July 2013

Stuff I learned from my sister

My sister was one of the most amazing people I ever knew. And that's not bias speaking, that's absolute truth.

She was born with Rett Syndrome - and it was pretty severe. She couldn't walk, talk, dress herself, feed herself - she was completely dependent.

And yet, Liezl always had a smile. She was always looking about with an air of curiousity, intrigue and delight.

She taught me to find the good in pretty much every situation. I learned to be grateful for my functioning limbs. I try and walk everywhere as much as I can, because I know she would have if she could.

We had a lot in common, Liezl and I. We both loved (adored!!) chocolate, and cartoons. In winter, our hands and feet were always cold.

I eventually learned to appreciate the small things as much as the big things. Heck, sometimes the small things are more important than the big things.

Love you, Liezl...

No comments:

Post a Comment