Friday 20 September 2013

How to dehumanize someone

View them through a piece of glass. Be it a lens, a screen or a window.

I wasn't going to write a blog today, but felt compelled to after seeing what I saw this morning on the way to gym.

I walk to gym - it's close by and seems silly to drive. I had to take a different route into the shopping complex this morning, as a taxi had crashed into the wall and the main entrance was blocked off by ambulances and police cars.

I don't want to see people dead and dying, so I turned my head when walking past. Unfortunately, a few other people didn't seem to care about that, and were gathering around like social media vultures, snapping away with their phones.

Someone died this morning in that accident. Two are critically injured. But you just HAVE to take a photo for Facebook/Twitter/Tumblr/what ever, don't you. Who cares that the EMTs are working their asses off to save someone's life? Who cares that those victims have families, and coming across those photos will be a very nasty shock to them? As long as you can get those likes and comments and retweets, right?

It's disgusting.

It's unfeeling.

It breaks my fucking heart.


1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately common I'm afraid, I've had people moan at me for being in the way while dealing with an actively fitting patient and others have STEPPED OVER my patient while I performed CPR. I'm used to working in the glare of a lens and the glow of a flash.

    ReplyDelete