Tuesday 25 June 2013

This is an EX-PARROT!

On Saturday night, Asshat ExHusband and I had the pleasure of attending John Cleese's show. We had front row seats. I was literally within 3 metres of a Python...Unfortunately my bag wasn't big enough to smuggle in chloroform and rope, so I couldn't kidnap him. Bugger.

The show was awesome - Mr Cleese was dry, droll, sarcastic and very nostalgic. There was a moment that made my life, however. He was showing some pictures from the Frost Report, and pointed out a person in the group photo and asked if anyone knew who it was. I piped up with "Marty Feldman." John Cleese looked me right in the eye, pointed at me and said "Yes! Well done!"
So I can officially die happy now, and cross off another item on my Bucket list.

He explored his childhood, his shared black humour with his mom, his schooling, how he met the other Pythons, how he got into showbiz. He shared video clips and photos of some of his favourite moments, including his speech at Graham Chapman's funeral, which simultaneously moved me to tears and made me laugh.

John Cleese also shared the inspiration behind some skits, like the Cheese Shop and the fact that there really was a hotel like Fawlty Towers. The Pythons stayed in a hotel with an owner who was the inspiration for Basil Fawlty. Someone like that existed. Mind. Blown.

After show, he was even kind enough to take some questions. And he answered them all with great wit and affection. Despite being 73 years old, he's just as funny as he ever was. He even did a little Silly Walk for us, even though he despised that skit.

It was amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment