Tuesday 22 October 2013

My Religious Experience





The other day, I was at the shops, picking up luxuries like food and toilet paper. In the parking garage, a young, neatly dressed man approached me and greeted me. Being in a good mood, I reciprocated.

After introducing himself, he said, "I would like to invite you to Church." I'm not particularly into the Abrahamic monotheistic religions - or any religion for that matter. I also didn't want to fob him off with a lie as that just didn't seem right, so I smiled, and said, "Dude, I don't really do church. But I do appreciate the offer."

What happened next was kind of shocking. He didn't ask why. He didn't try to argue me into attending church. He didn't try to stuff a pamphlet into my hand. He didn't denounce me as some kind of devil-worshipping deviant who is out to corrupt innocent children.

He returned my smile, shook my hand and wished me a very pleasant day. His reaction had such an affect one me that I still remember it a few days later. It's sad that I was half expecting him to go on the offensive, trying to shove his beliefs down my throat. I don't get that from my religious friends, but I do get it from religious strangers. Which is strange and weird and awkward.

I don't go to church because all they do is remind me of funerals - most specifically my sister's funeral. It's hard to feel love and awe and worship when you're transported to one of the most singularly painful moments in your life.

While I understand that some people turn to religion and God for support during those trying and painful times, I'm one of those that turned away. I didn't find comfort or love in the deep emptiness of space, there was no explanation why a supposedly benevolent Creator would cause this kind of pain to my parents and family.

It's been over 10 years, and I still don't get it. I probably never will. I guess I'm ok with that. I'm glad that my religious friends have solace in something that they believe in. I'm also glad that they don't push it down my throat. What do I believe in now? I don't know. I guess I believe in the inherent goodness of people. It's not always easy to find, but it's wonderful when you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment